This "flagpole" dates back to the Spanish-American war, circa 1898. It is the mast of a vanquished Spanish Warship. This is the same flagstaff from which Gen. MacArthur raised the U.S. flag after Corregidor's liberation. It again played a historic role when the Philippine colors were hoisted on it after the United States turned over Corregidor Island to the Philippine Government on October 12,1947.
All text and graphics in this website and the Corregidor E-book: Copyright 2002, 2009, & 2014 Jose Maria N. Ramos